Third Stop: Kupferhammer
The relocation of two hammer mills from the Schwärze River (Kienwerder) gave rise to the first industrial settlement in the Finow Valley in 1603. Alongside the ‘Hüttenamt’ – an office building constructed in 1776 with a facade design that was originally baroque – the classical-style factory buildings and residential buildings still feature prominently today.
The copper-rolling mill erected in Britzer Straße by the Prussian government between 1816 and 1818 is one of Brandenburg’s most important examples of early industrial architecture. The officials responsible for the project had visited modern iron and steel works in England beforehand. The architectural design was done by Johann Friedrich Wedding, a leading industrial architect. He also planned the ironworks in Gleiwitz and Königshütte, so he had an excellent reputation that extended far beyond the borders of Prussia. Close to the rolling mill, three residential buildings that were constructed for workers’ families in 1818, 1830 and 1833 are still standing. The stone wall used to border the settlement of Kupferhammer.