Sixth Stop: Chemical Plant
From the towpath, two parts of the former chemical plant now come into view: the administrative building (1899-1900) and a building used by officials and factory workers (1900).
The plant was founded in 1894 as a linoleum factory and experienced a boom after it was taken over by the company Chemische Fabrik auf Actien (formerly E. Schering), Berlin in 1921. Two years later, production of synthetic camphor began in an older factory building. The product was in high demand in the pharmaceutical industry and, above all, as a softening agent for celluloid.
After the war, the factory was expropriated and dismantled, but in 1951 it was able to reopen under the name VEB Chemische Fabrik Finowtal and resume production of camphor and fragrances. In 1968 it started to produce cellulose derivates as well, and it grew considerably.
In 1991 the old camphor factory was shut down and sold to the town of Eberswalde, which demolished the building between 1998 and 1999 to make way for a car park.
The remaining part of the factory – which focused on cellulose chemistry – went bankrupt in the mid-1990s and was also torn down.