Seventh Stop: Wolfswinkel/Paper Factory
The Wolfswinkel paper factory, founded in 1762, houses a first-class monument to technological development: the production department for handmade paper, which is still functional today. The installations were originally located in the Spechthausen paper factory, founded in 1781 south of Eberswalde. After this factory was shut down, they were integrated into the Wolfswinkel plant between 1956 and 1957. They include two Hollander beaters, in which the raw material is milled and mixed, three tiled vats, cast-iron presses and a calender for smoothing the finished sheets.
There are signs of the sweeping modernisation of the 1920s here, particularly in the water tower and the paper machinery hall, which was built under the direction of the Siemens architect Hans Hertlein between 1928 and 1929. The Berlin-based company Siemens-Schuckertwerke bought the Wolfswinkel paper factory in 1917 and manufactured cable paper and insulation paper there.