Ninth Stop: Messingwerk
From 1698 to 1700 Brandenburg’s first brass works was erected near the village of Heegermühle. Between 1721 and 1725 it was moved upriver to its final location. In 1863 the Halberstadt-based company Aron Hirsch & Sohn purchased the state-owned enterprise. This Jewish family of business owners also left their mark on the social life of the area.
On 16 May 1913 excavation work here led to a sensational discovery: the Bronze-Age ‘Treasure of Eberswalde’, which is still the most significant of its kind in central Europe today. There are copies at the Eberswalde Museum in the Adler Pharmacy and at the Museum of Prehistory and Early History in Berlin.
In 1920 the new factory in Messingwerk commenced operation. It was designed by the engineer Georg Schlesinger, an expert in rationalising production processes who held the first German chair for Machine Tools and Factory Management at the Technical University of Berlin between 1904 and 1933.
Wasserturm (water tower)
Am Wasserturm 2, 16227 Eberswalde
Opening times: Apr to mid-Oct Fri–Sun and on public holidays 10am–5pm
Admission: adults €3, concessions €1