Construction of the first Finow Canal began in 1605, below Liebenwalde. The canal quickly became an important lifeline for the small farming town. As the shipping industry began to grow, industrial companies started to base themselves here. In 1924/1925 the Zerpenschleuse lock was filled in, and it was no longer possible to navigate the canal continuously as far as Liebenwalde.
But the townscape always remained characterised by agriculture, and visitors will still find a typical Brandenburg farming town here nowadays. The inhabitants used to be known as ‘Ackerbürger’, which means ‘land-cultivating townspeople’. It referred to their main activity: agriculture. Unlike the farmers in the villages, the ‘Ackerbürger’ were free citizens who practised both crafts and agriculture.
The Heimatmuseum Liebenwalde (museum of local history) is housed in the former town jail, just behind the town hall. You’ll find information about shipping there, with a focus on the Finow Canal, and the history of the town of Liebenwalde. An ‘authentic’ jail cell has also been preserved.
Heimatmuseum Liebenwalde (museum of local history)
Marktplatz 20, 16559 Liebenwalde
Opening times: May–Sept open daily 10am–4pm; Oct/Nov and Mar/Apr closed on Mon and Sat; Dec–Feb closed
Tel.: (03 30 54) 8 05 55